Friday, February 1, 2008

Writing Assignment 1

Prompt 1:
I think that reading is crucial to a writer because it teaches many things. It not only provides inspiration for the writer, it often teachers a writer how they can improve. For example, despite my admiration for Stephen King's horror novels, I would never be able to write something like that with any sort of conviction. Me + Horror Novels = mockery and faux fright. This I learned from Stephen King. On the contrary, Salman Rushdie is probably my favorite author and I aspire to write like him, his poignant imagery and fantastic sense of characterization.
As per the question of inspiration, a writer must have a passion to write, if they are hoping to really make the most of a blank page of paper. Words are very powerful, and they become even more powerful if they are used to show a perspective or a belief. It is easier to do something you love that fake something you hate. If you read a book and are truly inspired to write because of it, that reading has been a critical and important part of your writing process.

***
Prompt 2:
I think, in America at least, there is a sense of isolationism. There are many degrees of Americans feeling that they are alone. Take for example -- something that I know a lot about -- the world of Hindi Cinema. It may not seem likely, but basically every country, except for America, acknowledges and distributes Hindi films. My favorite actor, Shah Rukh Khan, was recently award a High Honor of the Arts from the French government, he was also interviewed for BAFTA, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, many of his films have been dubbed and released in Holland and Germany, even Peru. I think that we live in a very global world, it takes 12 hours to fly to Japan, 10 to go to England. It takes two seconds to connect with family oversees via the internet. 100 years ago, even 30 years ago, that was not possible. It is amazing that we can connect so easily, and yet Americans seem to not want to integrate. I assume this is going to be a problem one day, so everyone should start globalizing fast.


***

Prompt 3:
I think the most influential work that I have read in my life is Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. If you really love writing, and you really love creativity, you need to read this book. It is just about the most amazing thing I have read in my life. Midnight's Children follows a boy named Saleem Sinai who was born on the even of India's independence at the stroke of midnight. He lives a disturbed life (trust me it is quite disturbing, in a quirky way) and has a telepathic connection with the other kids born on the same day. The idea itself is pretty much really cool, but the writing style is fanatastic. When Saleem is confused, the words all get slurred togther and the writing is very confused. Such emotions are so much more powerful when they can be seen in the writing. Furthermore, the images are really cool. I was giddy the day I bought it and added it to my budding library. I, again, only hope that I can be half of the writer that Salman Rushdie-saab is and I think that this book is the perfect example of his greatness.

4 comments:

Dustin A said...

I like your comments under the second prompt, although I would say there's plenty of foreign culture going on in certain aspects of American life. Half of all our videogames and cartoons seem to come from Japan, for example. And if you have an interest in something from another country, it's pretty easy to enjoy it via the internet.
I think the problem (and hey, this nicely ties what you, Stef, and I wrote) is that US corporations try to keep us buying American pop culture (i.e. hiphop and Hollywood movies) by influencing our tastes through super-heavy advertising. If people were less subconsciously inclined towards American products, there'd be more interest in foreign cultural stuff.

Stef said...

I think pretty much everyone has said something about how reading = learning, but I like the way that you've put it best. I've also found out what creeps me out through reading, among many other things.

Also I agree with Dustin's comment, that US corporations are to blame for all of society's problems.

Maitland said...

I especiall like your "what concerns me" response. The only foreign movies that come out here are very "independent film-y" and are usually French. But seriously, we do need to branch out a tad.

Dustin A said...

Hey wait, I didn't say corporations caused all of our problems...the government and terrorists certainly cause their fair share. This particular problem, I have to say, is mostly corporations.